You can always omit or add ingredients, not everyone has the same taste! I personally like this recipe because it fits very well into my macros and keeps me full for a majority of the day!
Basic Tofu Scramble
- 1/2 package tofu
- 1 bell pepper
- 1/2 onion
- spinach (as much as you like)
- nutritional yeast (I use 1 shot glass full)
- turmeric (for color)
- garlic powder (or fresh)
- black pepper
- oil (optional, if you are oil-free, do not drain all of the liquid from the tofu when pressing it)
- black salt (optional, but it gives the tofu the sulfur/eggy taste. I got mine from amazon)
- 2 beyond meat spicy breakfast patties (optional, you can use any fake breakfast meat, or none at all)
- If you are going to eat breakfast potatoes/zucchini, prepare them now.
- Open tofu and cut it in half (or use the whole block to double recipe). Press the tofu. If you are not using oil, keep some of the moisture in the tofu.
- While tofu is being pressed, chop the onion and bell pepper. You may chop the spinach if you don’t want to fiddle with cooking down large leaves.
- Prepare spices. I do not measure my spices, except for nutritional yeast. I will put 1/2 shot glass of nutritional yeast into the pan with the other spices, and the other half will go on when I’m serving it.
- Now, you have all of your chopped veggies and spices ready to go. If you are using the Beyond Meat patties, start them now. You just heat them up in a pan, no oil necessary if you’re using nonstick. They take about 3 minutes on both sides.
- In a separate pan (10-12 inch,) warm it on medium heat. Add oil if you like.
- Crumble tofu into pan. Stir it around and let it cook for about a minute, then add spices. I measure them by color and taste. I add enough turmeric to turn the tofu yellow, enough black salt to make it taste eggy and lots of garlic powder and black pepper! After adding spices, cook for another 2-4 minutes.
- Add in the bell pepper, onion, and garlic if using fresh. Cook until onion is translucent.
- Add in spinach and any other veggie you might be using (I like to add in mushrooms in this step if I have any!)
- By now, your sausage patties should be done, and spinach wilted.
- Sprinkle the rest of the nutritional yeast on top and serve with breakfast potatoes/zucchini, toast, in a tortilla, etc! I will sometimes add sliced cherry tomatoes if I have any!